Monday, August 29, 2011

Behavior-Based Interviewing

Are you the small business owner whose team has told you that you shouldn't be the one doing the interviewing? 

It's probably advice given to you because you haven't been successful in the past with asking the right questions.  It's ok.  This stuff is not easy.  Interviewing is an important activity that leads to potentially hiring a person into the organization.  So, I'm going to help lay out for you some advice to help you in the process.

Preparing For An Interview

Interviewing is important to both the company as well as to the candidate.  Managers should be prepared before going into an interview.
  1. Review the job description (which should already be written and outlines the requirements of the position).
  2. Review the candidate's resume ahead of time. 
  3. Have questions prepared that help you keep the interview meaningful and succinct, not turn into a "chat." 
Behavior-Based Interview Questions

I suggest you develop questions that help you learn about the individual's experiences from his past.  This is called "Behavior-Based Interviewing."  Below are some examples:
  • "Tell me about the best job you've ever had.  What did you like about it?The candidate's answer will tell me a lot about his preferences. 
  • "Tell me about the worst job you've ever had.  What did you dislike about it?  What would you have changed if you were able?"  Again, it tells me about his preferences. 
  • "Tell me about a time when you had a difficult co-worker you had to work with.  How did you deal with him/her?"  I like this question because it gives me insight on a person's tendencies when faced with conflict.
  •  "Tell me about the best boss you've ever had.  Tell me about the worst boss you've ever had."  This tells me about what characteristics they prefer and others that they dislike in a Manager.
  • "Tell me about a problem you had on the job that required you to think creatively to resolve it."  This tells me about the way the candidate looks at problems and uses resources to solve problems.
  • "Tell me about a time you saw someone on the job who was breaking a rule/policy.  What was the situation?  What did you do about it when you saw it happen?This tells me their tolerance for other people's bad behavior.

Summary:  Remember that the employment decision is one of the most important decisions a Manager can make for the company.  Asking well-thought out questions will lead to insights about a candidate that may surprise you.  Apply behavior-based interview questions when you interview applicants.  The theory is that the past is the best predictor of future behavior.  And that's a whole lot better than fluff!

Kathleen Lapekas - PHR
Action HR Consulting
For Personal Attention to Personnel Matters...
http://www.actionhrconsultant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment