Thursday, August 4, 2011

Handling Employees With Body Odor - What's that Smell?

Delicate Discussions?
Ever had to work with someone who, quite frankly, smelled offensive?  Talk about an uncomfortable situation!  It's not an uncommon problem, unfortunately.  It's awkward having to talk with someone about something so personal as their personal hygiene.  But, as a Manager, you have an obligation to the workforce to deal with this little "delicate" problem.  Chances are, the "offender" is completely unaware that everyone in his presence has watery eyes and tries to avoid him at all costs.  So, what can you do (besides have a company-wide training session entitled:  How Soap Works)?  How do you approach someone who's creating an olfactory-related "hostile" work environment? 

Just Spit It Out
I have always taken the approach that I'd appreciate it if someone were to privately point out if my fly were unzipped, or if I had broccoli in my teeth (imagine how humiliating it would be to be going around smiling and talking with people and then notice hours later that I had something stuck in my teeth).  But, body odor is a little different.  It's more delicate.  And it requires a little more tact.  It doesn't have to become a big harry ordeal, but it's definitely something that should be discretely handled

I'd meet privately with the "offender" and approach him, kindly and tenderly with something like this:

"Don, I need to talk with you about something that, quite honestly, is a little uncomfortable for me.  However, I need to share with you that it's becoming an issue that we need to get addressed.  Your body odor is becoming a problem.  I can tell that it's not something that you are aware of, but I wanted to let you know -- so that you could do something to address it.  It may be that your body chemistry has changed, because I know that can happen as time goes on.  But, Don, I really need you to do something about this problem right away.  What do you think you could do to work on this?"

I've had to have conversations like these, and although it's uncomfortable, I've found that people are generally embarrassed, but are truly THANKFUL that you talked with them (privately and respectfully) about it.  I've never had anyone get mad or huffy about it.

What NOT to do:

  • Don't make a joke out of it.  It's embarrassing, but it's not funny.  Making a joke out of it may confuse the person, and he's not sure if you're being on the level, or if you're pulling his chain.

  • Don't be too subtle and indirect, such as suggesting someone try this new deodorant you just found in the supermarket.  Some people will not understand that this is a gentle suggestion, and it'll make you sound like a complete kook!  Just be a straight-shooter.  Communicate what you have noticed, and ask the offender to do something to address it.

  • Don't pit your people against one another by stating, "People are complaining about it."  It's better if the message feels like it's coming from you (one person) rather than from the entire department!  

Thank Them For Taking This Seriously
Thank the person for hearing you out and taking the message to heart.  After you've noticed it's getting better, make sure you go back to tell them (privately) that it's better.  They need that feedback.  If it doesn't get better, then you need to probably do something a bit more dramatic (like a written disciplinary notice for non-compliance to your Dress Code / Personal Hygiene policy).  But, I assure you, if you handle it right the first time, it won't come down to that.  

Kathleen Lapekas - PHR
Action HR Consulting
For Personal Attention To Personnel Matters...

http://www.actionhrconsultant.com/


       

No comments:

Post a Comment