Monday, October 10, 2011

Performance Feedback: Anyone Hungry?

The "Feedback Sandwich"
Someone once came up with the notion that performance feedback should “sandwich” the bad news between two pieces of good news.  For example, if someone were not meeting performance standards, it was believed that you should unpack something good, then deliver the something bad, then finish off with something good to leave them feeling ok.  While I understand this principle, I actually disagree with it. 

Cut the Mustard
If you have feedback, then say what you need to say, but don’t sandwich your message.  Tell someone that they did well if they did well.  Don’t put the “BUT” (or is it butt?) in there.  Make it a separate statement. 
For example, "Kathleen you are a great communicator, but you can't seem to get your work done on time.  I know you're trying hard, and appreciate all that you do around here."

If you "sandwich" your feedback, the receiver doesn’t hear the good stuff!  He’s bracing for impact, because after the first compliment….oh, boy, here it comes!  Then, after you’ve decimated his self-esteem with your negative feedback, he can’t hear the good piece that followed behind.  No, I don’t believe in sandwiching. 

No Balogna, Please...
I believe in "separating the sandwich."  Give me a slice of each.  Tell me what I do well.  Tell me what I need to work on.  Case closed.  Don’t connect the two.  Keep it focused on specific actions/behaviors. 

A Better Example: 
"Kathleen, you are exceptional with sharing your opinion.  Others look up to you and look to you for advice.  Nice job." 
[Well, thank you...I appreciate that.]   
"Kathleen, I have noticed that you work late nearly every night.  While I appreciate your effort, I think it's that you tend to carry on conversations and can't seem to get out at a regular time.  What do you think you could do differently to get your work done on time?" 
[Ummmm...maybe I should stop talking -- "sharing my opinion" -- and get down to the business of working?] 

Both examples of feedback are specific and to the point.  I can "wrap my head" around this feedback.  Independently, both of them are effective.  No need to throw one out there, and then "sandwich" the other with a cheery, "Keep up the good work" message.

Summary
Managers, when giving feedback to your employees, try to offer feedback without contradicting yourself in the next sentence.  Take the "BUT" out of your message.  You'll find the feedback is much more effective, and your employee won't be "bracing for impact" every time you say something nice about their work. 

Kathleen Lapekas - PHR
Action HR Consulting
For Personal Attention to Personnel Matters...

No comments:

Post a Comment