Monday, October 10, 2011

Performance Feedback: Sort of Like "Puppy Training"

It's Like Puppy-Training
For feedback to be effective, it should be specific and it should be timely.  Think of it sort of like training a puppy.  A puppy has like a 2-second attention span; and therefore doesn't remember that he wet on the carpet 1 hour ago.  People aren't quite as bad as that, but the principle works the same.

Specific and Immediate
You've got to specifically identify what I did (good or bad) and bring it to my attention immediately (or as soon as possible) after I did it. 
For example, my company has a rule that states that I get a 10-minute rest break.  I return back from my 10-minute rest break after 20 minutes of resting.  Mr. Manager, if you wait a week to tell me that you noticed I was late coming back from break last Monday, you’ve lost your window of effectiveness.  That was SO LAST WEEK! 
If you want me to change my behavior (come back from break on time) then address it right there and then when I come back late.  Identify the behavior you have observed (“I noticed that you went ten minutes over on your break”) and identify the behavior you expect to see going forward (“and I need you to get back from break on time – your break should only be ten minutes, rather than twenty minutes.”)

Taking A Shot-Gun Approach for a Laser-
Beam Problem?
Oh, and one more thing...Never take a shot-gun approach to a laser-beam problem.  How many times I've seen supervisors bring the entire team together to address the abuse of breaks.  Guess what?  Your team knows the rules.  They also know that it's really Kathleen who is abusing the rules.  They feel as though they're being punished unnecessarily by being talked to about this.  They think, "Why don't you just go talk to Kathleen?  She's completely missed the point that this message is really about her!!!!"  Don't treat "Kathleen's problem" as a "group problem."  Deal with Kathleen directly.  You'll really see an improvement. 

Summary: 
Effective performance feedback requires specific descriptions (of what I did right, or what I didn't do right) and must be timely!  Just like a puppy, I need immediate recognition or correction to teach me what you want me to do.  Otherwise, you'll end up with a lot of wet-spots on the carpet! 

Kathleen Lapekas - PHR
Action HR Consulting
For Personal Attention to Personnel Matters...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment